We understand the importance of sun protection and the damaging effects of UV rays on the skin. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the 10 best sunscreens without harmful chemicals, including oxybenzone, octinoxate, and retinyl palmitate.
Applying a great sunscreen according to your skin type, can protect your skin from harmful UV rays and prevent painful sunburns, skin cancer, and signs of premature aging, such as dark spots and wrinkles.
Our list includes a variety of options, from non-greasy to mineral, and we’ve broken down each sunscreen with its pros and cons so that you can make an informed decision.
Our top pick for the best overall sunscreen is the La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-In Milk Sunscreen SPF 60, which has a non-greasy and water-resistant formula that’s great for both the face and the body.
For those with acne-prone skin, we recommend the EltaMD – UV Clear Facial Sunscreen SPF 46, which contains niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, and lactic acid to help control oil and reduce inflammation.
We hope this list helps you find the perfect sunscreen for your skin type and needs. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen every day to protect your skin from harmful UV rays and prevent signs of aging!
1. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-In Milk Sunscreen SPF 60
- Non-Greasy, Water-Resistant
- Paraben and fragrance-free
- Formulated with Cell-Ox Shield technology
“This is one of my favorite broad spectrum, cosmetically best sunscreens for face and body,” says Dr. Marchbein.
No white cast or greasy mess! This milky sunscreen has a velvety texture that absorbs quickly in order to hydrate, smooth, and protect the skin.
Its Cell-Ox Shield technology, which contains a powerful antioxidant complex, helps protect the skin from free radicals that can cause damage to the skin.
it is dermatologist-tested, allergy tested, and rigorously tested for skin tolerance on sensitive skin.
2. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 55
Dryer Than Most Brands
- Oxybenzone-free, PABA-free and non-comedogenic
- Won’t Clog Pores
- Formulated with Helioplex* for superior sun protection
*Why is it important to use sunscreen with HELIOPLEX?
When the active ingredients in some sunscreens are exposed to the sun’s UV rays, they can break down and lose effectiveness, compromising the amount of sun protection they provide.
Sunscreens with HELIOPLEX technology are stable in the sun so they provide effective optimal sun protection when you wear them.
- Little bit tingly feeling
With a lightweight, non-greasy formula that absorbs quickly and leaves a matte finish, it’s perfect for daily use to keep your skin protected during outdoor activities.
Plus, it’s PABA-free and non-comedogenic, so it won’t clog pores. So why wait? Try Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Lotion today and enjoy the sun without the worry of harmful chemicals!
3. Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Moisturizing Face Sunscreen Lotion With Broad Spectrum Spf 60
Best Hydrating Sunscreen
- Creamy and silky texture
- Don’t need to use a separate moisturizer
- Moisturizing prebiotic oat
- Paraben-free, phthalate-free, oil-free, Oxybenzone-free, dye-free
- May not be suitable for people with oily skin
- Some users say it has a bad fragrance
Dr. Zeichner said it can be used by anyone, including people with eczema.
Made with nourishing prebiotic oat, this sunscreen lotion helps leave skin feeling soft and moisturized all day as it combats sun-induced radicals that accelerate skin aging.
With a refreshing, weightless formula and a non-greasy feel, it’s perfect for daily use to protect your skin from the sun.
Plus, it’s hypoallergenic and free from harmful chemicals like parabens, phthalates, and oxybenzone.
4. TULA Skin Care Protect + Glow Daily Sunscreen Gel Broad Spectrum SPF 30
Best for Glowing Skin
- Contains probiotics, pineapple, papaya, and wild butterfly ginger root
- Helps promote even skin tone & strengthen the skin barrier
- Provides protection against sun rays, pollution, and blue light
- It might not be suitable for acne-prone skin
- Expensive compared to other options
TULA Skin Care’s daily SPF 30 sunscreen not only protects your skin from the harmful effects of sun rays, pollution, and blue light, but it also gives your skin a perfect dewy, and glowing look.
This sunscreen helps to strengthen and protect your skin, promotes even skin tone, and is non-comedogenic, making it suitable for all skin types.
Apply it in the mornings after moisturizing, and reapply every two hours throughout the day.
Although it is a bit more expensive than other options. But it’s a great option for those who prioritize glowing and healthy-looking skin.
5. EltaMD – UV Clear Facial Sunscreen SPF 46
Best Sunscreen For Acne-Prone Skin
- Contains niacinamide (Vitamin B3), hyaluronic acid & lactic acid
- Helps calm & protect sensitive skin types
- Leaves skin soft, clear & healthy looking
- Some users report pilling
EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen SPF 46 is a tinted facial sunscreen that is specially formulated for individuals with acne-prone, rosacea-prone, and hyperpigmentation-prone skin types.
This lightweight sunscreen is infused with niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, and lactic acid to help calm and protect sensitive skin.
It leaves the skin feeling soft, clear, and healthy-looking and can be worn alone or under makeup.
With its tinted formula, it can also help even out the skin tone and reduce the appearance of redness and blemishes.
6. CeraVe 100% Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50
Best Mineral Sunscreen
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Allergy tested
- Gentle on the skin
- Hyaluronic Acid attracts hydration to the skin’s surface and helps the skin retain moisture
- Leave White Cast
CeraVe 100% Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50 is a physical sunscreen that helps protect the skin from UVA/UVB rays.
It contains Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide, which are physical filters that reflect sunlight.
This sunscreen is designed to be gentle on the skin and is suitable for sensitive skin types.
It is also oil-free, fragrance-free, and non-comedogenic, which means it won’t clog pores.
This sunscreen is formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) to help restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier.
Ceramides are naturally found in the skin and can become damaged with sun exposure.
7. Coola Classic Face Organic Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 – Cucumber
Best Sunscreen For Dry Skin
- Contains antioxidants for healthy skin
- Very faint smell
- It is not apt for the oily skin type
For those with dry skin, this sunscreen lotion from Coola is the best to hydrate and protect your skin.
It contains 70%+ certified organic ingredients and is enriched with a proprietary blend of naturally effective and antioxidant-rich nutrients called Plant Protection.
This sunscreen contains lots of antioxidants, including aloe juice, grape seed oil, and other plant-based moisturizers that help the skin repair itself.
Additionally, it is reef-friendly, making it safe to use in oceans and waterways.
8. Paula’s Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30 Matte Tinted Face Moisturizer
Best For Anti Aging
- Matte finish
- The silky texture leaves a soft matte finish without a white cast behind
- Prevents premature aging of the skin
- Evens out skin tone
- Little pricey
- A little bit dry for combo-dry or dry skin
Looking for a multi-purpose formula that hydrates, firms, and protects your skin from environmental and sun damage?
Paula’s Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30 Matte Tinted Face Moisturizer is the perfect solution for you!
This unique formula contains a lightly tinted moisturizer with sunscreen and nourishing antioxidants to protect your skin from sun damage and even out your skin tone.
With a silky matte finish, this moisturizer is perfect for normal to oily and combination skin and visibly reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
Plus, with daily use, you’ll see firmer skin. Works beautifully as a base for makeup or worn bare.
9. Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 PA+++
Best For Darker Skin Tone
- Treats Fine Lines and Uneven Texture
- Protect against blue light emitted by electronic devices
- Feels so light and soft on the face
- No White Cast
- The only gripe is the cost
This sunscreen from Supergoop is a completely invisible, weightless, scentless, and makeup-gripping daily primer with SPF 40.
It doesn’t leave white behind, so great for darker skin tones. And the best part is that this sunscreen is for all skin types.
It is formulated with a complex derived from the meadowfoam seed, which helps increase hydration levels in the skin, resulting in a more even skin texture.
Additionally, the product contains red algae, which helps protect the skin against blue light emitted by electronic devices, and frankincense, which helps provide a soothing effect.
10. Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion Broad-Spectrum SPF 50+ Mineral Sunscreen for Face
Best For Swimming
- Mineral-based sunscreen with WetForce technology
- Stays on face while in the water
- Does not leave a white cast
- For Sensitive Skin & Children
- No scent
- Turns skin color white once gets in the water
- Some users say it felt a little greasy
This sunscreen from Shiseido is an invisible, broad-spectrum SPF 50+ sunscreen with a protective veil that can be more effective in water, sweat, and heat.
It features WetForce technology, which enhances its effectiveness when exposed to water or perspiration for 15 minutes.
The negative ions in the formula combine with positive ions in water or perspiration to create an additional layer of invisible protection.